What is actually inside Fort Erie's landward-side section? Not a whole lot. The map in the brochure I got at the fort during my visit describes this section as the terreplein, and while I understand that one must call it something, terreplein wouldn't be the word I would choose. A terreplein is the flat surface atop a rampart upon which guns can be placed, protected by a parapet. But the British generally know what they're talking about when it comes to fortification, and by extension we can assume that Canadians do as well. Being neither, it is quite possible that I'm the one who doesn't really understand what a terreplein is.

Whatever, at least this part of the fort finally gives us access to those awesome-looking bastions!