Let us take a moment, before entering the fort, to consider this poor building. Today, this is the office building from whence all visits to Fort Mifflin begin, but it once served as the fort's hospital and mess hall. The larger, two-story section of the building dates back to 1819, and the smaller kitchen wing to the left was added during fort renovations that took place from 1835 to 1839. And the structure appears to not have had any roof repairs since that time.