But first a peek at Battery Bartlett, which is not open to the public. Named for Massachusettsian Brevet Major General William F. Bartlett, Battery Bartlett mounted four M1888MI 10" guns on disappearing carriages. Its guns were scrapped in 1943 and the battery was partly demolished in the 1970's. Today it is securely fenced in, and has a collection of maintenence vehicles and such parked behind it.